One of the very nicest things about life is the way we must regularly stop whatever it is we are doing and devote our attention to eating.
* Luciano Pavarotti & William Wright, Pavarotti, My Own Story

March 14, 2011

Creamy Quinoa Mac & Cheese

My kids LOVE macaroni & cheese. and even though I buy the more natural/organic boxes, I still feel guilty making something that is so processed all the time. so I keep trying new homemade mac & cheese recipes. I've been buying the Quinoa pasta lately because it's supposed to be good for you - it actually tastes quite delicious! I can't really taste the difference compared to regular semolina pasta. It just cooks faster than the regular stuff, but even tricked the hubs who is naturally resistant to all my "trying to be healthier" food changes.
  
Here's what we are eating tonight at my house. It's in the oven now!
...uh, a bit of 'processed cheese food' is better for you than full-on mac from a box, right? 

Preheat oven to 400˚ F.
  • 2 cups dry quinoa macaroni elbows
  • 3 TB butter
  • 2 TB flour
  • 2 C milk (I used "so delicious" coconut milk beverage - plain)
  • 1 tsp mustard powder
  • fresh cracked black pepper
  • a few dashes turmeric (gives it a nice yellow color)
  • 6 oz shredded cheddar cheese (or any combo of shredded cheeses)
  • 2 oz neufatchel cheese
  • 4 oz smoked gouda (cut up nice & small)

Cook the macaroni for 6-9mins, drain.
Meanwhile, make the sauce. melt butter, whisk in flour until smooth. slowly add in milk while wisking to avoid LUMPS. cook over medium heat for a couple minutes, add mustard powder, black pepper & cheeses; stir while the cheeses melt into deliciousness.
Drain pasta & pour into baking dish. Pour cheese sauce over macaroni & mix until coated. Bake in 1.5qt-2qt dish for 20mins.

1 comment:

aaron said...

this also works with velveeta instead of gouda. Same goes for the milk - any type of milk will work (cow, rice, almond, coconut...)

I've made it both ways. both are delicious.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails