One of the very nicest things about life is the way we must regularly stop whatever it is we are doing and devote our attention to eating.
* Luciano Pavarotti & William Wright, Pavarotti, My Own Story

April 20, 2009

creamy potato carrot soup



this is the soup I made for Briste's baby shower. that's it there in that bowl in the picture - though you can't see the soup...
this soup is easy & flexible: you can throw in whatever veggies you have, omit the carrots if you want, heck even the bacon is optional & I dont use it when I am being a good vegetarian. but I am a bad vegetarian & sorta on a bacon-in-soups kick right now & I think it makes soups taste especially good. and I know velveeta is spooky...
what is it anyway?... but it makes potato soup yummy. you can also use sharp cheddar too/instead. you see? a very flexible soup!!!
here's is what I made... as best I can remember:


Creamy Potato & Carrot Soup - by kristen

2 slices uncured bacon (uncured=nitrite free! nitrites are bad for you)
1/2 white onion, chopped (1 cup)
6 large potatoes, peeled & chopped (I used russet)
3-4 handfuls baby carrots
veggie broth (just enough to cover veggies)
8 oz cream cheese (organic so christy doesn't die!)
velveeta to taste (I used 1/3 of a big pkg)
salt & fresh cracked pepper to taste

cook bacon in a large heavy pot over med-high until crisp. remove bacon, crumble & set aside. sautee onion in bacon drippings for about 10 minutes, until nice & cooked. (VEGETARIAN VERSION: omit bacon & sautee onion in 1-2Tb olive oil.) add potatoes & carrots to pot, add just enough broth to cover. (the broth stays in the soup, so the more you add, the runnier your soup will be. I like it thick, so I just barely cover the veggies enough that they can cook.) bring to boil, reduce heat to simmer until the veggies are cooked (tip: the smaller you chop your carrots/potatoes the faster this will cook.).
for chunkier soup, mash by hand with a potato masher to desired consistency. for smoother soup (or if your carrots aren't quite soft enough) puree spoonfuls of potatoes/carrots in blender & replace in pot. add cream cheese & velveeta, stir in to melt. salt & pepper to taste (the more velveeta you use, the less salt you need). add bacon back in or crumble on individual bowls. enjoy!


(above: briste enjoying opening gifts after eating the soup)

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails