One of the very nicest things about life is the way we must regularly stop whatever it is we are doing and devote our attention to eating.
* Luciano Pavarotti & William Wright, Pavarotti, My Own Story

November 09, 2010

Sweet Potato Pot Pie + Coconut Oil Pie Crust

so... coconut oil is REALLY good for you, you can read about some of the benefits here & here. I've started using it in a lot of my cooking & love it. Tonight I was cold, and thought potpie sounded good... I have no shortening for piecrust (it's evil anyway - boo to partially hydrogenated oils), but I thought hey my coconut oil seems close to shortening... and I googled it & found this recipe!
Anyway... I made the crust first & baked the bottom shell for about 10minutes so it was a little bit cooked. While the crust was baking, I started the potpie filling. You could use whatever veggies you have on hand, heck, that's how I always cook! and of course you could omit the chicken if you are being a good little vegetarian. I'm not a good vegetarian today, though next time I'll try it without the meat & with some garbanzo beans or something else delicious.


Coconut Oil PieCrust:
  • 3/4 cup solid coconut oil (1/2 butter/1/2 coconut oil)
  • 2 cups organic unbleached all purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 3 - 4 tablespoons ice cold water

Cut the coconut oil and butter into the flour and salt with pastry blender or two knives. Add the water 1 tablespoon at a time and mix well.

Roll out on floured board. Makes enough for 1 covered pie.


Sweet Potato Potpie Filling:
(adapted from this recipe)
in a large pot, COOK over medium, until potatoes are soft:
  • 3TB olive oil
  • 2 orange-fleshed sweet potatoes
  • onion
  • garlic
STIR IN:
  • 1 can corn, drained
  • 1 can shredded chicken, undrained
mix together in a bowl:
  • 2 C milk (I used almond)
  • 2 TB cornstarch
Add cornstarch/milk to potatoes in pot, stir constantly, increase heat if needed to bring to boil, then lower heat & continue stirring... stir, stir, stir... this thickens the sauce.

SEASON TO TASTE WITH (I just throw it in & don't measure, sorry):
cumin
curry powder
salt
fresh cracked black pepper

Pour into Coconut Oil PieCrust, top with more crust & bake at 425 for 20ish minutes, until crust is browned to your liking.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails