February 18, 2009
chocolate pistacio cake
i wish i had a pic of this cake but i don't. it's so yummy. seriously, if you haven't tried it DO and you won't be sorry. i got this recipe from melanie bascom in our ward and it's a cake doctor cake. so easy and super yummy. i made if for alanna's bday yesterday and it was delish. as a testament to it's yumminess, dave doesn't eat many desserts but he LOVES this cake.
Chocolate pistachio cake
½ cup chopped pecans ( I left this out)
½ cup choco chips ( I left this out too)
1 package plain white cake mix (NOT THE KIND WITH PUDDING IN IT ALREADY)
1 package (3.4 oz) pistachio instant pudding mix
½ cup sugar
1 cup water
½ cup veg. oil
4 large eggs
½ cup choco. Syrup
1. preheat oven to 350* . lightly mist bunt pan with veg. oil spray then dust with flour. Shake out excess flour. Sprinkle pecans and choco chips in bottom of pan.
2. Mix cake mix, pudding, sugar, water, oil and eggs together. Blend with an electric mixer on low for 1 minute. Scrap sides of bowl with spatula. Mix again on medium for 2 minutes, batter should be thick and smooth. Remove one cup batter and mix it with ½ cup choco syrup, until well combined. Set aside.
3. Pour regular batter into pan. Pour choco batter over the top, trying to keep the chocolate away from the edges. Swirl the chocolate batter into the regular batter with dinner knife.
4. Bake the cake until it is golden brown. 55-60 minutes (I NEVER COOK IT THAT LONG. I DO 50 MIN AND IT'S A TEENY BIT UNDERCOOKED BUT THAT'S HOW I LIKE IT)
5. Remove from oven and let cool 20 minutes. Run a long sharp knife around the edge of cake and invert it onto a rack to cool completely. To serve, place the cake onto serving platter and glaze with Shiny chocolate glaze.
Shiny chocolate glaze:
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1/ 4 cup heavy whipping cream
1 cup powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1. melt butter in small heavy sauce pan over low heat. Add cocoa powder and cream and stir until mixture thickens, 2 minutes. DO NOT BOIL. Remove from heat and stir in the powdered sugar and vanilla until mixture is smooth.
2. Spoon glaze over the cooled cake.