One of the very nicest things about life is the way we must regularly stop whatever it is we are doing and devote our attention to eating.
* Luciano Pavarotti & William Wright, Pavarotti, My Own Story

December 09, 2008

Christmas cookies

It's that time of year! Time to start baking Christmas cookies! I love baking cookies and every year I make my traditional favorites (such as these) and try some new recipes that I may or may not make again. Last year I made neopolitan cookies for the first time. I found this recipe in my William Sonoma cookie cookbook that I received as a wedding gift. I decided that the recipe was a keeper. I love how these cookies look. They remind me of neopolitan ice cream. Each color layer has a different flavor and together they make a great cookie! Here is the recipe for these fabulous cookies. What are your favorite holiday cookies?

Ingredients:
1 cup butter, softened
1 1/4 cups white sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 t salt
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
1/4teaspoon grated nutmeg (I grate it fresh)
1-2 drops red food coloring
1 (1 ounce) square unsweetened chocolate, melted
1/4 cup chopped pecans or walnuts

Directions:

In a medium bowl, cream together the butter and sugar (I use the kitchen aide). Stir in the eggs and vanilla.

Combine the flour, baking powder and salt, stir into the creamed mixture. Divide dough equally into three small bowls. Add red food coloring to one portion; stir until thoroughly mixed. Mix chocolate and pecans or walnuts into second bowl, and nutmeg into the third bowl.

Line a 9x5 inch loaf pan with waxed paper, and spread almond dough evenly in the bottom of the pan. Spread the walnut dough evenly over the almond layer, and top with chocolate dough layer. Cover layered dough with waxed paper, and place in the refrigerator until firm, about 4 hours.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Turn out chilled dough by inverting pan; peel off waxed paper. With sharp knife, cut dough lengthwise in half. Slice each half of dough crosswise into 1/4 inch slices. Place slices on cookie sheet one inch apart.

Bake 10 to 12 minutes in the preheated oven, until light brown. Remove to wire racks to cool.

Makes about 6 dozen cookies

Merry Christmas!!

(for a twist you could color the layers red, green and white for Christmas!)
I submitted this recipe for the contest called "Eat Christmas Cookies" taking place here

3 comments:

Susan from Food Blogga said...

I grew up with Neopolitan ice cream, but I have never seem cookies before. They must be as delicious as they are pretty. Thanks so much!

Karen said...

A friend used to make these for Christmas using green, red and white dough - they are so festive looking and one of my favorite ice cream flavors :)

Susan said...

Oh these are so yummy I made them once- then forgot about them- thanks for the reminder! Love your blog!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails